NVSWCD delivers teaching to instructors, interns, youth group leaders, and adult volunteers in the use of two learning kits. These consist of a 3-dimensional watershed product called EnviroScape® and “The Outstanding Journey” H2o Cycle sport produced by Venture Soaked.
Instruction will take about 1 hour and is obtainable by appointment at the NVSWCD office, 12055 Governing administration Centre Parkway, Suite 905, Fairfax, Virginia 22035. There is no charge for the coaching. Experienced volunteers may possibly borrow the model on a limited-time period basis when it is not in use.
To request a training or to borrow a lesson kit, contact NVSWCD’s EnviroScape coordinator or connect with 703-324-1460, TTY 711.
The model demonstrates how various land takes advantage of have an impact on water high quality. Rain (from a spray bottle) carries soil (cocoa), fertilizer (inexperienced sprinkles), trash (rainbow sprinkles), poisonous substances like pesticides and motor oil (red sprinkles), and animal squander (chocolate sprinkles) to a lake, where by the results of the air pollution become plainly obvious. Land use features a residential neighborhood, development internet site, farm, and roads. The design is also utilized to display approaches folks and communities can assistance minimize air pollution that finishes up in our streams, lakes, and rivers.
The EnviroScape package includes:
- Tabletop model
- Land use figurines
- Kid-secure “pollutants”
- Spray bottles for “rain”
This discovering kit is excellent for upper elementary university by way of middle college grades, but can be tailored for all K-12 grades. EnviroScape’s 2018 Virginia Benchmarks of Studying (SOL) correlations can be observed under.
This sport demonstrates the dynamic means in which drinking water molecules shift and modify states within just the drinking water cycle. Students faux to be drinking water molecules, and go via 9 distinctive stations the place h2o can accumulate (clouds, crops, animals, rivers, oceans, lakes, ground h2o, soil, and glaciers). They learn how warmth electricity, gravity, and electromagnetic electrical power influence the motion of water through watersheds. This activity allows college students to develop into acquainted with the h2o cycle’s elaborate and “internet-like” parts.
“The Extraordinary Journey” kit features:
- Nine station indications
- Nine 8″x8″ cubes
- H2o Journey Map Worksheets
- Beads for journey bracelets
- Lesson system and Guidance
This studying package is wonderful for upper elementary college as a result of center school grades, but can be tailored for all K-12 grades. “The Extraordinary Journey” kit’s correlations with 2018 Virginia SOLs can be discovered beneath.
- K.1 Inquire inquiries, carry out investigations, use types
- K.4 Examine and recognize water
- K.11 Look into and recognize that humans use assets
- 1.1 Check with issues, have out investigations, build conclusions
- 1.8 Earth’s means can be applied responsibly
- 2.1 Inquire queries, have out investigations, assemble conclusions
- 2.3 Subject exists in diverse phases
- 2.8 Crops are significant all-natural resources
- 3.1 Talk to thoughts, carry out investigations, assemble conclusions, use models, converse facts
- 3.6 Soil is critical in ecosystems
- 3.7 There is a water cycle and water is significant to everyday living on Earth
- 3.8 People impact ecosystems
- 4.1 Talk to issues, carry out investigations, assemble conclusions, use designs, communicate information and facts
- 4.8 Virginia has important purely natural sources
- 5.1 Inquire thoughts, have out investigations, construct conclusions, use models, communicate information
- 5.8 Earth regularly modifications
- 5.9 Conservation of strength methods
- 6.1 Check with queries, have out investigations, assemble conclusions, use designs, converse info
- 6.6 Water has exclusive chemical attributes and has a job in the pure and human-designed setting
- 6.8 Land and drinking water have roles in watershed devices
- 6.9 People effects the surroundings and men and women can impact policy choices relevant to strength and the natural environment
Daily life Science
- LS.1 Request queries, have out investigations, assemble conclusions, use designs, communicate info
- LS.5 Biotic and abiotic variables impact an ecosystem
- LS.8 Ecosystems, communities, populations, and organisms are dynamic and transform over time
- LS.9 Interactions exist in between ecosystem dynamics and human exercise
- PS.1 Request thoughts, carry out investigations, build conclusions, use designs, communicate data
- BIO.1 Ask thoughts, have out investigations, assemble conclusions, use designs, converse details
- BIO.8 There are dynamic equilibria inside of populations, communities, and ecosystems
- CH.1 Ask issues, carry out investigations, construct conclusions, use versions, converse data
- ES.1 Check with questions, carry out investigations, build conclusions, use versions, converse data
- ES.6 Resource use is elaborate
- ES.8 Freshwater sources impact and are motivated by geological processes and human action
- ES.10 Oceans are complicated, dynamic systems and are issue to prolonged- and limited-expression versions
- PH.1 Ask questions, carry out investigations, assemble conclusions, use versions, communicate details